If you’ve been hanging out on Filtered Family for any length of time, then you know I’m all about getting rid of the things that can harm you and bringing in things that are safe. Today my friends, we tackle natural body products.
In the dangerous beauty series we covered,
- Toxic Beauty: 5 Dangerous Chemicals in Your Beauty Products
- Toxic Nails: The Dangers of Nail Polish and Fake Nails
- Toxic Body Products: Guys, Your Body Products are Making You Less Manly
- Detox Your Beauty: 5 Top Tips for Safer Beauty and Body Routine
Tip number two in the last post of the series was all about choosing safer beauty and body products. Unfortunately this is where most people get stuck.
Swapping out every single harmful product for safer products sounds daunting to many folks.
They don’t know where to start.
They aren’t sure what to buy.
They are afraid of being swindled by fake “natural” labels.
People, the struggle is real.
If this is you then you’ve landed in the right place!
I’ve been there and I know researching this stuff takes a TON of time. That’s why I’ve taken all the stress out of this process by researching safer options for you.
So let’s start detoxing your beauty and body routine!
I made you something awesome!
Conventional shampoos are loaded with harmful chemicals including parabens, sulfates, and worse. Here are some better options for you and your family.
- ShiKai Tea Tree Shampoo This one is rated 2 (1 is best 10 is worst) by EWG and is my current fav. Especially good for oily or product heavy hair.
- Shea Moisture Raw Shea Retention Shampoo Rated 1 by EWG and great for dry or damaged hair.
- Andalou Naturals Moisture Rich Shampoo, Argan and Shea Rated 1 by EWG and a solid budget friendly choice.
No one wants to trade their shiny locks for safer products. Luckily you don’t have to. Here are some of my safer favorites.
- Shea Moisture Yucca & Plantain Anti-Breakage Strengthening Conditioner Rated 1 by EWG, this is my current favorite for all around moisturizing and frizz free hair.
- Aubrey Chamomile Luxurious Conditioner Rated 2 by EWG, a great all around choice.
- Burt’s Bees Shea and Grapefruit Deep Conditioner rated 2 by EWG, this one is best for thicker dryer locks.
This category is super easy. Ditch the cancer causing chemicals for my favorite swap, Dr. Bronner’s pure castile soap, which comes in a variety of lovely (and truly natural) scents.
You can also try:
- African Black Soap Body Wash Rated 1 by EWG, this stuff is a close second to my favorite castile soap.
- Desert Essence Fragrance Free Pure Body Wash rated 1 by EWG, and a good scent free option.
- Burt’s Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Body Wash Rated 1 by EWG, a good option for the fella in your life.
- The Wonder Seed Hemp Body Wash Rated 1 by the EWG, this is a great company with a ton of safe options including this lovely smelling body wash.
My favorite natural moisturizer comes straight out of my kitchen, it’s a tie between organic expeller pressed olive oil and avocado oil.
Pure shea butter is also an amazing intense moisturizing option (best for dry cracked or worn skin) or growing baby bumps.
Both oils do an amazing job at moisturizing dry skin and you can’t beat the safety of a high quality food grade product.
But if you want a more traditional moisturizer here are some safe options:
- 100% Pure Coconut Nourishing Body Cream, If I don’t use my beloved oils it’s because I’m using this luscious antioxidant rich, vitamin enhanced moisturizer. This is a total winner! LOVE it!
- Dr. Bronner’s & All-One Organic Lotion for Hands & Body, Orange Lavender Rated 1 by the EWG, this is a good all around lightweight moisturizer.
- The Wonder Seed Hemp Body Lotion, Fresh Jasmine Rated 1 by the EWG, this another good choice for a traditional floral scented moisturizer.
There are tons of great natural toothpastes and powders out there. However I will say they do take some getting used to as you won’t have the fluffy foam experience you get with conventional pastes. Clay based toothpastes can also feel gritty at first, but you get used to it.
These days I bounce between,
- Redmond Earthpaste, a popular natural toothpaste that uses bentonite clay as it’s base and…
- Uncle Harry’s Fluoride Free Toothpaste, I really love the Uncle Harry’s line including this remineralizing toothpaste.
This is one of the tougher categories. I’ve had my share of natural deodorant disasters, but I figured out a little trick that’s a total game changer!
Apple cider vinegar!
More specifically, I add ACV to a clean washcloth and swap my underarms before applying natural deodorant. Let me tell you, this trick works!
If you are using a natural deodorant and feel like it’s failing you, try this trick fist.
It’s so good I usually just do the apple cider vinegar if I’m staying home, but it makes any natural deodorant substantially more effective by killing off the odor causing bacteria in your armpit.
That said, if I’m heading out my favorite natural deodorants are:
- Green Tidings Organic All Natural Deodorant, this is the brand I’m using now and gets the job done in a more budget friendly range. Plus it’s in stick form which is a nice change from the jar based products.
- Primal Pit Paste Deodorant, a very popular and effective jar based deodorant.
- Purely Great Deodorant, this one is more like a cream and has a great smell thanks to it’s use of essential oils.
- PiperWai Natural Deodorant, this brand uses charcoal as an ingredient for extra odor and moisture absorption.
Just because you’re going natural doesn’t mean your hair can’t hold a snazzy style.
My favorite hair styling products are:
- Andalou Naturals Perfect Hold Hair Spray Rated 2 by EWG, this hair spray is perfect for holding curls, waves, or smoothing your mane.
- Sapien Men Hair Style Gel, Rated 2 by the EWG, this guy-centric hair gel will keep your style looking good without the nasty chemicals.
- Badger Man Care Hair Pomade, Rated 1 by the EWG this hair pomade is perfect for smoothing frizz and glossing locks. And the badger in flight goggles is also crazy cute (I’m a sucker for a badger in uniform).
There are so many great options in this category it’s hard to choose.
My current favorite moisturizer is pure organic argan oil. If you are on a budget or want a low maintenance option that also moisturizes like a dream then this little bottle of gold is for you.
If I’m in a rush I just apply nothing but argan oil to my face, it absorbs fast, moisturizes like crazy, and is great at keeping lines and spots at bay.
In addition to the oils above you can also try:
- Acure Night Cream, Rated 1 by EWG, I love this brand and their face creams are fantastic and nicely priced.
- MyChelle Dermaceuticals Ultra Hyaluronic Hydrating Serum for Dry Skin, Also rated 1 by EWG MYChelle is known for natural and effective skincare solutions.
- MyChelle Dermaceuticals G2 Instant Firming Serum for Anti-Aging Defense, rated 1 by EWG, I love this firming serum for that extra anti-aging boost.
- Juice Organics Pompeptide Facial Moisturizer, a good simple but effective moisturizer, particularly good for combination skin.
- 100% Pure Vitamin A and C0q10 Wrinkle Smoothing Night Cream, I just recently discovered this brand and am loving their line of natural fruit pigmented makeup and botanical based creams. This moisturizer is another of their hits.
Don’t miss out! Get your FREE checklist!
There are so many great options out there but if you are short on time or energy then this list covers all the basics from head to toe.
You can also find more options on the beauty page of the Filtered Living Shop. All these recommendations have been checked against the EWG Skindeep Database to make sure you are getting safe products.
Speaking of the EWG database, if you want more options or want to check your own products I highly recommend checking out the database and cross checking any ingredients against the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics list of harmful ingredients.
Oh and if you are looking for makeup recommendations keep an eye out for my next post, The Best Rated Natural Makeup Options.
I hope this list of natural body products helps you start to detox your body routine. Once you know how harmful these products are there is no way anyone will want to keep using cancer causing, hormone disrupting, and fertility damaging products!
Was this helpful? If it was please show your support and subscribe to the newsletter and get exclusive access the the FREE Resource Library full of helpful checklists and guides! All made to help YOU live your best.
What about you? Have you tried any of these? Do you have any favorites?
Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Until next time gorgeous babes and handsome fellas!
Love it? Pin it for later!
*AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: Links may be affiliate links, click for full disclosure. This means I earn a small commission of any products purchased through the links. This helps in the cost of operating this blog. That said all prices are exactly the same whether bought through my link or not. Also please know ALL my recommendations are sincere and ones that I would recommend (and have recommended) regardless. I love these products and I hope you do too!
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: None of the health topics presented on Filtered Family have been evaluated or approved by the FDA. They should not replace personal judgment nor medical treatment, nor are they intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Always talk to your naturopathic physician or M.D. about the use of these or any other complimentary modalities. Reading this website denotes your understanding and agreement to our full disclaimer.